* Victor Hedman (1-2—3) had three points in Game 3 to lead the Lightning to a 2-1 series lead and become just the third defenseman in NHL history to score 10 goals in a single playoff year, joining Paul Coffey (12 in 1985 w/ EDM) and Brian Leetch (11 in 1994 w/ NYR).
* In his first game since late February – and first playoff game in more than 17 months – Lightning captain Steven Stamkos returned to the lineup and scored less than seven minutes into the first period.
* When a best-of-seven Stanley Cup Final is tied 1-1 (since 1939), the winner of Game 3 owns an all-time series record of 22-7 (.759). When any best-of-seven series is tied 1-1, the winner of Game 3 owns an all-time series record of 222-107 (.675) including a 7-1 mark in 2020.
HEDMAN CONTINUES TO PILE UP THE POINTS AS LIGHTNING TAKE GAME 3
Playing his first game in more than 200 days, Lightning captain Steven Stamkos scored at 6:58 of the first period to give the team a 2-0 lead and Victor Hedman collected 1-2—3 as Tampa Bay pulled ahead 2-1 in a Stanley Cup Final for the second time in franchise history (also 2015).
* Hedman, who has seven points in his last five games (3-4—7), ranks third on the team in scoring with 10-10—20 this postseason (22 GP). He briefly moved into a share of the League lead with his 10th goal of the postseason before teammate Brayden Point (1-1—2) claimed sole possession of the top spot with his 11th goal later in the period.
* Hedman joined Dallas’ Miro Heiskanen (6-18—24 in 24 GP) as the second blueliner to reach the 20-point mark this postseason. The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs are the fifth in NHL history in which multiple defensemen each recorded 20-plus points and first since 1991, when Pittsburgh’s Larry Murphy and Boston’s Ray Bourque combined for the feat. The others: 1985, 1983 and 1978.
* Hedman recorded his third game-winning goal of the postseason – one shy of the most by a blueliner in a single playoff year: Slava Voynov (4 in 2013 w/ LAK), Brian Leetch (4 in 1994 w/ NYR), Al MacInnis (4 in 1989 w/ CGY) and Paul Coffey (4 in 1985 w/ EDM).
STAMKOS MAKES PRESENCE FELT IN RETURN TO LINEUP
Steven Stamkos, who concluded his regular season with a point in 15 consecutive games played from Jan. 14 to Feb. 25 (12-10—22), played his first game in 211 days.
* He became the second NHL player – and first in more than 80 years – to score a goal while skating in his first game of a postseason during the Stanley Cup Final. The other was Billy Taylor Sr. with the Maple Leafs in 1940 (Game 2 at NYR). Of note, Frank Nighbor (2-0—2) and Jack Darragh (1-0—1) each scored for the original Ottawa Senators in Game 1 of the 1920 Final after the team proceeded directly to the championship series.
LIGHTNING DEPTH PROVING KEY IN STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS
Brayden Point and Ondrej Palat each collected 1-1—2 in Game 3 to help Tampa Bay move within two wins of securing its second Stanley Cup in franchise history.
* Point netted his League-leading 11th goal of the postseason and boosted his 2020 totals to 11-17—28 (20 GP). He needs two goals to match the franchise record for most in a playoff year – a mark set by teammate Tyler Johnson in 2015 (13 G in 26 GP).
* Palat tallied his 10th goal of the postseason to give Tampa Bay a 5-1 advantage late in the second period, joining Point and Victor Hedman as the third Lightning player with a double-digit goal total in 2020. They are the first team in 10 years to have at least three players each with 10 or more goals in the same postseason.